- Gangs are responsible for an average 48% of violent crime in most jurisdictions
- Gang membership reached 1.4 million in 33,000 gangs.
- Gangs are growing in their ability to use new technology and social media to engage in criminal activity.
- Gang members are accessing high-powered military-style weapons capable of inflicting great harm to law enforcement and the public.
- There have been 23,000 convictions of gang members in the past 10 years as a result of the FBI's Safe Streets task forces around the country.
Locally, there is a lot that can be done to reduce violence and encourage youth, including gang-involved youth, to become productive members of their community. A soon to be released Report by the East Harlem Juvenile Gang Task Force will include several recommendations to combat gang violence.